Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Warmachine and Hordes: Expectations vs Reality


Warmachine and Hordes:
Expectations Vs Reality


           
            When I first got into Warmachine and Hordes (Warmachine, specifically), the big draw for me was how awesome the ‘jacks were. The concept of leaders with magical powers that could command these huge, badass robots was the primary reason why I went with Warmachine right off the bat. Yeah, the big beasts of Hordes are cool too, but I mean, these are robots! Unfortunately, I’ve been a bit dissatisfied lately with how things have been playing out.

            To begin, I started with Retribution. I picked up the Battle Box during a local Journeyman league because 1) Warjacks seemed super cool and 2) Retribution’s aesthetics were my cup ‘o tea. I’ve since learned that Ret is not exactly a beginner faction, and even though I have pulled a win out once or twice, the majority of my games so far (biggest was 25 points) have been sloppy and disappointing, especially in the realm of my Myrmidons. The Manticore is expensive and seems to get one good hit in then gets wrecked. The Griffon, though fast and potentially deadly, is difficult to get in the right spot without the perfect combinations. Don’t even get me started about the Chimera…If it wasn’t so expensive I’d consider it. Long story short, I wanted to play an army that relied on their big bots to do the bashing, but Ret is definitely not what I was looking for. I still love how they look, but they don’t play how I wish they did, so lately I’ve been reconsidering my choice.

            I want an army that relies on its big bases to do the dirty work, not an army that relies on infantry. I switched from 40k to WM/H for a reason: I wanted to build and paint less models and use the big stuff. Warmachine was basically turning into a Kill Team sized army in 40k. After chatting with Andy for a bit about how I was standing with Warmachine and Hordes, I realized that Warmachine wasn’t going to deliver the game that I wanted. My play style was better suited for a warlock.

            Circle of Orboros is my new pet project. I’ve always loved wolves and they seem, in theory, to fit the style that I want to play. I have planned out a 25 point list with eKaya, since she’s all about the big beasts, along with some different Warpwolves and a few other fun toys. I’m still in the planning stage but I’m really excited to begin learning and playing them.


           
The main reason I wanted to write this article was to articulate that, coming from a beginner, Warmachine and Hordes is a bit misleading. When I was first learning about the game, it seemed like each Warmachine faction relied on their huge bots (I mean, they’re all over the artwork AND they’re in the name!). In reality, however, it seems that Warmachine is definitely more reliant on infantry and uses their ‘jacks as supplemental pieces to a much larger game. Hordes, on the other hand, relies on their beasts to generate power, meaning that they have to be more flexible than ‘jacks. Yes, if your beasts die, your power starts to slip. You’re only as powerful as your beasts. But that dependency on the beasts is why I’m now leaning towards Hordes. In the end, I have to play an army that I both like aesthetically and how it performs on the table to enjoy the game. I want my big models to be able to run up and obliterate whatever I hit on the first go, not scratch away at it, run out of focus then get overrun while it waits for infantry to come in to save the day. Warmachine can’t deliver both aesthetics and play style to me personally.

What I say should be taken with a grain of salt. I’m still a beginner, and I know that Warmachine factions are just as powerful as Hordes can be. It’s just that Warmachine seemed like it would be about the ‘jacks, but for the most part, it’s not. Hordes is all about the beasts, especially with eKaya (as well as many other Warlocks), and so that’s why I’m making the switch.

- Aaron


No comments:

Post a Comment