Saturday, May 10, 2014

Battlebox Battle Report – Menoth vs. Legion


Hello all! Andy here and I have a battlebox battle report with me trying out Menoth for the first time against my friend playing my Legion battlebox. I have always enjoyed the aesthetics of Menoth and have wanted to try out a warmachine army, so I thought this was a perfect opportunity! I have to admit, using focus feels like so much more work than using fury haha. So without further ado, here are our armies!

pKreoss - +5
Crusader – 6
Revenger – 6
Repenter – 4

pLylyth - +6
Carnivean – 11
Shredder – 2
Shredder – 2
Shredder – 2
Shredder – 2

I won the roll-off and decided I should go first, as I know my army is going to be pretty slow. I deploy with the Revenger and Crusader to pKreoss right, and the Repenter to the left. My opponent deploys pLylyth right behind a forest with a line of shredders to her left. The Carnivean is deployed at the maximum range of her control.


My first turn is pretty quick, as is the norm with Warmahordes. I pass out focus to everyone so they are able to run, then I put Defenders Ward on the Revenger and walk Kreoss towards the wall directly in front of him. Everyone else activates and basically runs straight ahead.



My opponent’s turn saw him making 3 Shredders go Rabid and walk forward. The last Shredder simply walked behind the rest. The Carnivean advanced directly forward. Lylyth just walked into her forest and cast Tenacity 3 times.



Now things become more interesting. I upkept Defender’s Ward and ran my Revenger forward. My Crusader simply walked forward. My Repenter walked in behind the Revenger. Kreoss just walked up behind the wall.



My opponent now decides he doesn’t much care for that Revenger standing in the front of the rest of my army. Lylyth starts things off by Bushwacking, popping feat, then shooting the Revenger. She casts Parasite on it with her auto-hit from her bow. She drops the last two fury she has. Next up is the Shredders. Each activates and free charges the Revenger due to Blood Lure on Lylyth’s bow. They put some serious damage on the poor Revenger. The Carnivean comes in to finish the job with an assault charge. The spray does a bit of damage to my Repenter. The Carnivean puts the Revengers down with ease. 



Following the devastation of the previous turn, I allocate 3 focus to my Crusaders and two focus to my Repenter. I start off the turn by activating Kreoss (Actually I started with the Crusader, then realized I wanted to feat and to do such a thing, I probably want to activate my caster first. Luckily, it was just a learning game and my opponent was fine with the mulligan). So Kreoss pops feat and shoots a Shredder with an Immolation to soften it up. Then I activate my Repenter and turn towards the two Shredders sitting in front of it. I shoot and boost damage on the closest Shredder and kill it. The second suffers minor damage. I now have a charge lane for my Crusader. My Crusader activates and charges the Carnivean. My Crusader takes the Carnivean down to 7 health. That ends my turn.



My opponent answers, and he answers with a vengeance. He spends fury to stand up his remaining Shredders. My opponent starts by activating Lylyth. She Bushwacks and boosts a shot into my Crusader. He hits my whopping Def 14 in melee no problem. He then casts Parasite and spends her last two to heal the Carnivean. Next the Carnivean activates. It sacrifices its movement to stand up. My now arm 16 is nowhere near enough to save me from a Carnivean and my Crusader gets trashed. The now unengaged shredders charge my Repenter for minor damage.



For my turn, I allocate a full 3 focus to the Repenter. I start off activating pKreoss. He walks forward and beats down both the Shredders. He then tries to fire off a Cleansing Fire and whiffs with double 1’s…. The Repenter activates and charges the Carnivean… And rolls a 1 and 2 to hit…. From there I did a bit of minor damage.


My opponent had no problem smashing my Repenter to pieces with the Carnivean at this points. Victory Legion!

So my first game with Menoth was a struggle. The Crusader not being able to one round a knocked down Carnivean was pretty disappointing. I should have tried to get Kreoss into the Carnivean’s face and take some shots on him. Without the Carnivean, my opponent would have been seriously hindered. I also realized at the end I never casted Lamentation…. It would have disallowed Lylyth from casting Parasite in my control area.

In my opinion, the Menoth battlebox is solid. I don’t really like the Revenger much, but it isn’t bad. It would probably be much more useful if I remembered it was an arc node... The Crusader is quite slow and can hit pretty hard, but needs a bit of help from another jack or the choir. The Repenter is a solid little jack that makes short work of Shredders. I don’t know how well it would perform against light or heavy jacks.

I would much prefer the alternate battlebox from the 2-player starter set. I think some ranged firepower like the Vanquisher would be great (Plus I really like continuous fire). I have the Menoth portion of the box in the mail so hopefully I’ll have it in hand and start painting it soon! I plan on going dark Menoth.

I hope you enjoyed!

- Andy

No comments:

Post a Comment