Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Thagrosh, Prophet of Everblight


Hello all, Andy here with my first Legion of Everblight warlock article! Today I am going to talk about my early experiences with Hordes and my boy Thagrosh1. Although I technically started with the Legion battlebox and pLylyth, I consider pThagrosh as my true first warlock. I used him throughout my first month-long Journeyman League with the alternate battlebox, followed by a local 35-point steamroller tournament. I have had a lot of success with Legion’s main man at a variety of point levels. Here are a few of the lists I’ve used.

pThagrosh +5
Ravagore – 10
Nephilim Soldier – 5
Harrier – 2
Shepherd – 1
Forsaken – 2

This was my 15-point list I used for the early portion of the Journeyman League and experience with Hordes as a whole. There was very little creativity to this list, as the alternate battle box required a Ravagore, Harrier, and Soldier. I knew little of the benefits of many solos in Legion, but was advised to add some fury management. Enter the Forsaken and Shepherd. Looking back now, there was no reason to include both a Forsaken and Shepherd as pThags can easily handle 3 little beasties on his own. However, these two models are great and should be some of the first purchases for any Legion player.
As for how the list plays, it did well in most match-ups as pThags feat is crazy at low point levels. A potential 10-point swing is huge when playing with only 15 points. The Ravagore won many games just by its assassination threat with its Dragon Fire animus. With few models, most opponents struggled to hide their casters. The list struggled when facing armies with high ARM. pStryker and pSorcha battle boxes were tough matchups. The list lacks greatly for armor cracking ability. But that is the nature of battlebox games.

pThagrosh +5
Carnivean – 11
Ravagore – 10
Nephilim Soldier – 5
Harrier – 2
Shepherd – 1
Feralgiest – 1

Next up is the 25 point list I used. I needed to add some armor cracking ability to my list so I added a Carnivean. It is a versatile beast that can trash a heavy in one round with little effort. I also enjoy having spiny growth the throw around on key models. With Death Shroud from pThags and spiny growth, legion heavies can reach a respectable armor 22 in melee. It made my army going from having difficulty cracking high armor, to being that high armor force that others had difficulty cracking. I also added a Feralgiest, because it has a neat ability that I have not once remembered to use. But mostly I added it because it was the only other 1 point model I owned at the time.

The list dealt with most foes quite well and I never came across an opponent I really struggled with at this point in the league.

pThagrosh +5
Carnivean – 11
Ravagore – 10
Scythean – 9
Max Hex Hunters – 8
Shepherd – 1
Feralgiest – 1

So here we are at 35 points (I was unable to play the second to last week, so I now have no model restrictions). I can finally drop some of the models I didn’t care for (Nephilim Soldier) and include more of the awesome heavies Legion has to offer. I chose to include one of each of the “normal” heavies for Legion. They each have something different to offer from their brothers, so I like having one of each. The Carnivean for its animus and a 10” spray, the Scythean for reach and no tough, and the Ravagore for long ranged firepower. I also added my first unit I owned and played, the Hex Hunters. These guys just looked awesome to me and at the time their rules seemed sweet so I picked up a box. Although pThags doesn’t really bring much to them in the way of buffs, they are a nice little jamming unit that can be quite irritating to deal with. With stealth, spd 7, and pathfinder, they can easily find their way across the board and into the enemies units. From there they try to get a kill and hex bolt a nearby heavy, preventing tramples or special attacks. Even if they didn’t kill anything, they often took opponents several turns just to remove.

While playing this list, I only ever struggled with some scenarios, as my army mostly moved in a tight clump around pThags. The Feralgiest is actually very helpful for this as a flag capturer or contester as an incorporeal model. A lot of armies don’t have any way of dealing with that.

Well there you have it, my relatively noobie opinions of Thagrosh, Prophet of Everblight. Keep your eyes out for a write up of my first Warmahordes tournament and further warlock articles!

-Andy

No comments:

Post a Comment