Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Aaron's Khorne army blog Update 1


Projects for the Project Throne!

Hey everyone. Here’s my first post about my mono Khorne army that I will be diving into over the summer. After I got a little put off of the Tyranids from the new Codex (that’s another can of worms I’m sure I’ll get in to!), I decided to go back to the Chaos Gods and embrace my favorite deity of the grimdark future – Khorne!

A little history – When I played Chaos way back in the day, Khorne was always my favorite. I played an undivided list but my berzerkers were always my champions on the battlefield. Their ferocity in close combat was what originally pushed me towards playing Tyranids, who were all about the close combat. There’s just something awesome about visualizing these soldiers bashing each other in close combat that made games of 40k so much more fun for me. So when I realized the ‘Nids were gonna hit the shelf for a while, I thought to myself…Aaron, what army do you want to play? Not for making cheese lists, not for winning tournaments, what army do you want to play and have fun with, both painting and gaming?

The answer was pretty obvious.

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!

So after I made that choice, I wanted to come up with some cool fluff to go along with them, something that drives the story of my warband as my collection of models and units grows. I’ve always loved blue and white pre-heresy colors for World Eaters, so I knew the fluff would have to trace back to the Heresy. I also knew that I really liked all the beast-style war engines that have been coming out, so a few Heldrakes and Maulerfiends are in my future. Strategy and competitiveness is completely out the window, so it’s all Rhinos and maybe a Land Raider or two for every unit. All Berzerkers, nothing else – No cultists, no Marines with the Mark of Khorne, none of that. I may add daemons later, so long as it fits the fluff, but aside from that, I don’t plan on getting too heavy into Khorne daemons in my force. It’s going to be a fast, hard hitting army that just runs at you screaming and the rest is up to the dice. It’ll be a nice change of pace having fewer models, too, as playing a swarm ‘Nids army usually left me with a sore back and not much to show for it.

So, pre-heresy colors. Gotta have Kharn, but I don’t want Kharn himself, if that makes sense. I wanted somebody that used Kharn’s rules that wasn’t Kharn, so I came up with the idea that my warlord, using Kharn’s stats, is actually obsessed with Kharn. Almost like how the Emperor’s Children were obsessed with being perfect, my warlord is striving to match Kharn’s brutality and skill as a killer. I’m not going to get too crazy on the fluff yet, but I promise that I will post more in depth stories soon. The other idea I’m going to roll with is that the warband is open to anyone who is willing to dedicate their lives to embodying Kharn’s brutality. I plan on having one unit themed as renegade Death Company, lead by a corrupt Chaplain. I also plan on having one unit of Space Wolves who fell prey to their feral side and embraced brutality. The army indirectly worships Khorne, they mostly just worship Kharn, so there will be a distinct lack of Khorne symbols in my army (and is also why I hesitate to add Daemons). Khorne is simply letting them worship Kharn and feed off their killing, even though they don’t directly do it for him. I’m still not sure if I’m using Khorne’s number – If I can come up with a reason why my warlord would follow the number that is influenced by Kharn, then I will go fluffy in that direction too.

So that’s what I have in store right now. I’m working on fleshing out the fluff to start my force, but I plan on forming their history through an escalation league I’m taking part in. They will form rivalries and grow in numbers depending (roughly) how my games go.

So that’s pretty much my game plan. I’ll definitely be keeping this blog up to date as I go with pictures and whatnot. Once I get my skills in painting white I’ll probably make a painting tutorial for the pre Heresy World Eaters.

Oh, and one more thing…There will be blood!

Cheers!

- Aaron

No comments:

Post a Comment